14.5.09

Me?

So, I was thinking (I know, big step, right? ;)) and I guess I should post a little bit about me. I wanted this completely separate from my profile on here because I don't really want my other blog linked to this one in any way. And, I could simply keep this one off the profile but leave the profile linked over here, so that those who have explicitly been given the other one just wouldn't see this. But anyone who comes here could see that blog which is linked on it... and I dunno I just get leery of having things all interconnected, that someone I don't want to read my personal things could somehow find them. And of course, this is open 'net, so that is still completely possible. But having things linked up makes it seem more likely than just "remotely possible," sooo yeah.

Anyway so I don't like reading blogs of people I know completely zilch about, right, I mean who wants to read a blog where the person reveals nothing of themselves?? Granted, the post that I will be making, will reveal a lot of me (so much that I didn't want it connected elsewhere, remember), but still. That's different. We're talking about the BASICS here. Let's face it, right now all you know about me is that I want a "real blog" and that there's a chance I like polkadots. (For the record, I do not.) So let's give anyone who happens to encounter this, a simple rundown of me, mmkay? Kay.

Well. I am a 27 yr old female. Born and raised in Chicagoland (yes I said land, not the city, the suburbs of), Illinois. And, in case you are severely confused (yes, I have seen people in the public eye do this, so don't be too offended), that is illinoy, NOT illinoise. TYVM. Now that I sound like a condescnding a*hole, let's move on shall we?

We'll start with some interests c&p'ed from some profiles:
Antwerpen, apes, Belgium, books, Chicago, computers, Edward Munch, Europe, Fangoria, gadgets, George A. Romero, gorillas, Green Day, herps, horror, horror actors, horror books, horror genre, horror movies, John Carpenter, kisses, LBC, Lucky Boys Confusion, letters, Linux, lycanthropes, M. C. Escher, monkeys, movies, music, Netherlands, photography, photos, primates, reading, RENT, reptiles, Russia, Russian, snailmail, snakes, snuggling, Sublime, Swizzle Tree, technology, traveling, Tux, Ubuntu, vampires, Wes Craven, writing, xkcd, zombies

It could go on but you get the idea. So there's a little glimpse into what floats around in my brain. Moving right along.

I recently discovered that I have SAD, and possibly AvPD. I have been this way my whole life, I just always chalked it up to "shyness," which, well hey that's what everyone always said I was, why would I think otherwise right? This goes all the way back to preschool days when I had very few friends, into K where I had 2 friends in my class. I remember I actually sometimes would be bold enough to talk, and end up feeling completely miserable after, so I just, stopped. Since I was too shy/scared to talk to anyone but my two friends, the rest of the kids used to call me snotty and snobby because I "wouldn't play with them" and must then think "I am too good to play with them." HRMPH. Kids are fucking mean, ok. Like I really only wanted two damn friends?! ANYWAY I digress >_>. My point was, I have always been socially inept and incompetent and therefore avoidant. I have always been an invisible wallflower. And most of the time, I like it. I am a loner by nature and it suits me. It is what I have always known.

Aside of my social anxiety, I am a bookworm, a computer geek (but I dabble in lots of things and am not spectacular at any of them (though this is also semi-related to my anxiety)), an amatuer photographer, a horror genre geek/freak, a movie nut, an introvert who often spills very very little of herself - to anyone - what you see here is very different from my norm; I do not spill like this on open 'net, even. I am a veggie eating, Linux/Ubuntu using, carb devouring, motorcycle/muscle car loving, primate adoring, non-drinking/drug using, language learning, herp craving, arachnid enjoying, anti-pink girl!

Now, I'm sure there are lots of other things that describe me (oh, I'm also short, with green-hazel eyes with a bit of gold, that change colors at random), but off the top of my head, those are what came to the forefront. So there you have it. Me in a nutshell.

And if you're curious, yes, this photo to the right is your humble author, in Amsterdam, last August.

By the way, I am marrying (in 2 mos from today) a man I met on an online diary site, who lives a continent (and 4100 miles) away, and moving to Belgium with him after getting married [just the two of us] in Italy. Real world be damned, fairy tales can come true after all.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I wasn't sure (new here) if I was supposed to reply to your comment on my page, or reply here. Replying here. Ok.

    Yeah, Twitter. I often search topics I am interested in and will follow those who seem remotely intelligent about the subject. Thanks for the re-follow. :->

    I have traveled a good bit..almost entirely in the US so far. I see that you are from the Chicago area. Cool. I visited Chicago and Hoffman Estates for some Sun training while I was working for Sears several years ago. Loved it there. Other places I have been include Seattle, L.A., San Diego, Phoenix, Vegas, Cleveland, Boston, Miami, all over the South really, Key West and Costa Rica. My first time traveling out of the US was two years ago to Costa Rica. I didn't get to stay very long (4 days), so I am going back for another 7. Can't wait. I try to go somewhere new every year. This year I am thinking Memphis. Auh-huh.

    I'd be happy to teach or try to answer any Linux/Perl related questions you may have. I enjoy spreading the OSS love and contributing what I can to the community.

    Thanks for the comment (yay! #1!!). I'm subscribing to your blog and I look forward to hearing more from you!

    Cheers!

    Chad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually quite new to the Blogger format myself. I made one YEARS ago (long before Google owned it, hell I don't think Google was even very large at the time, hahaha) but barely did anything with it, due to the large lack of "community" that Blogger has always had. Lots of people, but no community. So for my "diary writing" I've always used other places (OD and LJ to name a couple). But since I wanted to make my "chronicle" for Europe I figured, just for family really, may as well just use Blogger! haha. Annnyway I have no idea which place one is supposed to reply, since they don't have an actual "reply" thing, that allows people to be notified and whatnot. Annoying. I will reply here though since here is where I can read what you said. ;P

    hehe, you are welcome. At first I was like, what, who, why would someone follow ME?! hehehehehe. Prepare to be bored by my ...tweeting?, though, as like I said, I don't really use it much at all.

    Yup, from the burbs, not so far from Hoffman Est, actually. It's nice here, I had always thought I'd live out my life in this relative area. How little I knew! ;P I've been to LA, around Arizona, in lower Ohio, and around Florida (including the Keys). I should see if those damn maps will post on here (both LJ and the site I actually write on refuse to work with them), you could see where I've been then. lol. I've been somewhere around 25 states, Canada (through Michigan, for short trips), Cancun, Belgium, and Netherlands. My wedding/honeymoon will be in Italy, and then we may go to Romania a little later in the summer once we get settled in Belgium. =)

    hehe, will keep that in mind. My fiancé is pretty good with Linux [*buntu] but he just knows stuff from experimenting with it on and off over the years, there's plenty he has to look up and whatnot. Both his laptop and desktop are dual-boot, with Win as his main on both I'm pretty sure (the laptop is new, got a straight up Ubuntu one like me ;P, but then installed Win7 on it also). My laptop is only Ubuntu (9.04) and desktop is XP, but will be dual with Ubuntu taking the front once I get there and we rebuild it (it's coming up on its 5 yr b-day lol). Ok, I ramble too much. My POINT was (LoL) that you would be a welcome source of info! ;P

    Thank YOU for the comment, you're MY #1 as well! ;P Hopefully this weekend I will write more, when I'm not distracted at work like during the week, lol. Maybe even try to come up with a layout of my own, but we'll see about that lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for following your heart :) Some people are quick to cast judgment on others who take a big risk on love, but I say that love is like everything else - you only get the big rewards when you're willing to take big risks. I personally would rather risk getting my heart broken (NOT that that's what's going to happen for you - I myself moved 3k miles for the love of my life, still happily married) than to forever wonder what might have been. Gotta do it - you go girl for having the balls to do what other people only wish they could do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thank you! And yeah I totally agree. I know people who are all, I keep finding these people who don't work out, screw it I give up! But even though I've been dicked over by some pricks, it's never stopped me from following my heart. Love is pretty much jumping off a cliff, and hoping the person catches you. But if you don't jump, you'll never know. Personally I have always considered it worth the risk. =) AND, I get to move to Europe and have the world at my fingertips!! ;D

    How long have you been with your husband? How did you meet him?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melby! This is Jessica from HedgehogsWithoutBordes.com. :)

    "...By the way, I am marrying (in 2 mos from today) a man I met on an online diary site, who lives a continent (and 4100 miles) away, and moving to Belgium with him after getting married [just the two of us] in Italy. Real world be damned, fairy tales can come true after all...."

    Congratulations! I think this is absolutely wonderful! Follow your bliss and everything will fall into place. :)

    Tim and I met in November 2002 through NaNoWriMo. We started dating in January 2003...and then just over two years later we went on our round-the-world trip. Fairy tales can definitely come true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. =D Danke. I/we are indeed doing just that! ;D

    Ooh, I've never contemplated doing NaNoWriMo, but I've known of it for the last few years. I have done NaBloPoMo (the superdeeduper cut back "version" of it, lol), as well as Blogathon, though. =)

    Thanks for the comment, and for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete